- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 lb. ham (cubed)
- 1/2 lb. kielbasa (diced)
- 1/2 lb. chicken (cubed)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Rinse beans. Place in 2" water in large pot & bring to boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans; return to pot with water, soup seasoning packet, salt, and ham. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken, and kielbasa (or one of the three-no need to add all). Simmer 1 - 1.5 hours until beans are tender.
Fireside Kettle Bean Soup pairs well with a fresh salad or your favorite special sandwich.
- Use turkey ham and turkey kielbasa
- Follow directions in Step One and then add: three carrots, peeled & chopped, three cloves garlic, peeled & chopped, two potatoes, peeled & diced, three cups raw cabbage, chopped coarse. One 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes. Bring back to boil, reduce heat & simmer 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use a ham hock instead of the cubed ham suggested.
Fireside Kettle Bean Brunswick Stew
- Follow directions in Step One and then add: four medium potatoes, peeled & diced, one 15 oz. cans whole kernel corn, drained, one 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, one whole boneless raw chicken breast (or leftover cooked chicken or turkey). Bring back to boil, then reduce heat & simmer 1 to 2 hours. Remove chicken – dice or shred and return to soup pot. Cook uncovered 1/2 hour. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Place all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on high until boiling, reduce to low and cook until beans are tender.